Thursday, September 19, 2013

Halloween and Anthropology

In my Anthropology class, the five best costumes for Halloween get five extra credit points.  Now, I am all about the extra credit, but I am terrible at coming up with costume ideas.  It doesn't help that I am currently a poor college student, so my resources are fairly limited.  I suppose I could always go with something a little lame or a little cheesy, like the "costume" shirt, or the inside of a purse, but I would rather go with something a bit more creative and, well, nerdy.

If money was not an issue, I would probably go as a character from one of my favorite TV series or movies.  Then again, I could always go with some obscure book reference that most people would be clueless about, like Valkyrie Cain from Skulduggery Pleasant.

In the end, I will probably do as I always do and not dress up, unless inspiration hits me between now and the end of next month.

This weekend is the big rivalry football game for Utah, Brigham Young University vs. the University of Utah.  If you have no idea what I am talking about, just Google BYU UofU rivalry.  Wikipedia even has a page on it.  Basically, almost everyone in Northern Utah has a team, either BYU or the University of Utah, one of the newest members of the PAC 12.  My neighborhood has an annual rivalry party, with treats that go with either BYU blue, or the U red.  While we try to keep the rivalry friendly, many people get extremely invested in the rivalry.  If you are ever in Utah, ask somebody which team they support, and most of the time you will get a strong answer.  Of course, mixed among the Ute fans and BYU fans, there are some supporters of the Utah State Aggies.  As the game draws closer, I think I have to side with the Brigham Young University team this time around.  Last year, it was a very close game, although BYU still lost, and the year before that, Utah totally creamed BYU.  To both teams, I wish the best of luck and pray for as few injuries as possible.  Let the games begin!



1 comment: